Thursday, June 30, 2005

Probably not my worst day ever...



But it's not the best either.
The day started off just like most Thursdays. I don't have to be anywhere until 9:30 so sometimes I sleep in, (sometimes I sleep late) sometimes I get up when Johanna does and I get some things done around the house. This morning the birds were making a little noise and I had some stuff to do, so I got up around 7:30 and I cleaned up the kitchen a little bit, I even got a chance to fold some laundry in preperation for our trip to the beach next week.
With all of that done, I took a shower, threw some bikes on the car (one headed to the shop, one for the ride later) grabbed my iPod (with some fresh podcasts) and started to drive to my Java class. This was one of the few times that I wasn't in a rush.
So, I am about half way there (and I almost took a different route) I am headed eastbound on Elloit Ave. and a car on my left starts to roll from the stop sign. I can pretty easily see that if this thing keeps rolling that I am going to get T-boned. There was a slim chance that I would get through the intersection before the other car got the me. So, I kept driving, tried some evasive maneuvers and held on tight.

Well...I managed to not get T-boned but I didn't come out unscathed. I am fine but the Honda took a beating. The woman hit the rear drivers side panel and she must have hit the wheel as well. She sent me spinning 180 degrees and I skidded to a stop basically in a parked space, facing the wrong direction. Fortunately, there is no parking on the street or I would have been bounced around like that Plinko game from The Price it Right. I am also lucky that she didn't pull out just a little faster or a little sooner because I would have been testing the strength of whatever bracing the Honda engineers decided to put in the drivers side door.

All said and done, I am ok. The woman was insured, two witnesses stopped to wait for the cops to show up. The other driver was charged. The court date is in two weeks. I am glad I was wearing my seat belt. I am glad that I saw it coming and I could brace for it. I am glad she was insured.

I don't really know how much more I should tell but the story continues. Maybe I should just give you some facts.

When the woman gets out of her car, she isn't wearing any shoes.

She had a passenger in the car when she hit me. Once she got her car out of the middle of the road, the passenger gathered his things, and walked away never to be seen again. I never got a good look at him so I can't tell you what his deal is. I can only assume that the passenger had his reasons to cut out before the police arrived.

When the woman got out of the car one of the first things she said was that she just got her license a month ago. She looked to be about 40 or at least 35 with several years of hard living. She was also worried that they woudl take her kid away. Who I can only assume was the child in the back seat.

I don't know what her deal was. The cop made her leave her car and walk home. She was obviously compromised and I don't know how or why.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn man, thank god you're alright! Something similiar happened to my mom a couple of years ago on 17th ave and 27th st.