Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day Four

This is such a great view!  The climb starts way down right in the middle of the picture.  I almost cleaned it, just one dab about halfway up through a technical section.


So I finally got out for a little ride on the FSR.  Debrief...Shifting works well, handlebar is still in one piece and the jury is still out on the Ergon grips.  I did notice that my rear hub was acting funny.  It wouldn't catch right away after coasting or backpedaling.  A quick call to Ed at Chris King confirmed my suspicions, the hub needs an overhaul.  Unfortunately, the last time I tried to do that, I destroyed several of the bearings, marred the axle and gouged the inside of the freehub body.  Second time's a charm though, right?

I am headed out in a few minutes to meetup with someone that has the hub service tool and hopefully a better track record than I do.

Aside from the hub issue, I got some other good things done today.  I did a little bit of packing for the Monarch trip, purchased some reasonable everyday shoes (that are not sneakers), and I had two fairly profound thoughts today.

Profound Thought 1:

I am pretty sure having a fancy pants phone will actually save me time in the long run, even though it has many many time sucking features. 

Profound Thought 2: 

I am pretty sure my mailman is fucking with me. Although I don't have proof. 

If I have some time next week, I'll go into a little more detail on those thoughts.  For now, I've got to head out and get this hub issue worked out. Hopefully, the report back tomorrow will be positive.  Especially since my backup wheel is in the shop. (I think that was briefly mentioned somewhere in Day Two)

No comments: