Friday, August 25, 2006

One Month No-Car Challenge

So, a couple of times a week I stop by the bike shop to buy stuff, hang out, catch up on local gossip, whatever. I was at the shop returning a pump and I got to talking to one of the guys that was on the 18 hour race team about commuting to work. Long story short, we were wondering if it would be possible to commute to work every day. Could a person do it for a month? Then he was wondering if you could just live the no-car lifestyle...basically extending the use of the bike for all trips within the city limits...not just getting to work. There would be exceptions for travelling outside of Charlottesville for races or other things, but the idea would be to never use your car for errands in the city limits.

We haven't really worked out all of the details yet. For example, is it okay to get a ride from someone else? -or- What do you do when you have to go to Lowes?

I think we are going to start the challenge on September 1 and see if we can go the entire month. I am going to have to think about bike and equipment selection for this one...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, you can totally do it! Here are recommendations:

Bob Trailer - in case you need to do some bigger hauls, like the aforementioned Lowes run

Ortlieb Waterproof Messenger Bag - these things are no frills, just a big-ass bag, completely waterproof. This is what I used for messengering, and it will keep your stuff 100% dry even when you're getting soaked! I used this sucker for all my grocery shopping in New York.

You can do it!!