Thursday, August 03, 2006

Arm Wrestling???


So, this is 100% true, and it just happened a couple of minutes ago. J and I are back in Kofu after travelling to Tokyo then Hokkaido and I am just sitting in her office checking email etc while she is off processing some samples or something.

So I am just sitting here minding my own business when 3 Japanese guys come in the door. I didn't think much of it because it's a 2 person office with a lot going on. But they were trying to get my attention. One of them was saying something about arm-wrestling. Johanna is standing in the hallway behind them and she tells me that they were talking about arm-wrestling and they wanted to know if I was strong. I didn't know what to tell them...I am not much of an arm-wrestler but I figured I would play along. What was the worst that would happen...I would lose. In the bustle of Japanese and broken english I think I hear that this kid is some sort of champion. Maybe they were kidding, but it's pretty hard to pick up on sarcastic subtleties when you don't even understand the language. So we clear a desk and I square off with this kid and soemone holds our hands and calls "ready, set, go". He was a tenacious little bugger. You should have seen the way he ducked his head towards the table to try and muster all of his strength. I think that one problem is that I probably outweight most full-grown Japanese men by about 40 pounds. We were at a stalemate for several seconds and then he started to fade. I just leaned my huge American hulk into my arm and put him down. After that his friend wanted to wrestle me. Similar story, strong start but no endurance.

I am not posting this to brag...I just think this is rediculously surreal. C'mon, you can't make this stuff up. I never would have guessed that I would travel half way around the world to be challenged to an amateur arm-wrestling match. Oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story! I knew from the title of the post that you had been in an arm-wrestling competition and I had no doubt that you had won. My only question is, did you turn your hat around?

Devan

Anonymous said...

Throw in a crooked lip ARRRRGGGG and some gloves with the fingers cut off and that story is golden.
Jessy

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I just read this outloud to everyone here at Yahoo. I love this "I just leaned my huge American hulk into my arm and put him down."

Were they sad? How did they act after getting defeated?

James G. said...

Unfortunately I didn't have a hat on...you know...it's like a switch.

@sal,
It seemed to be back to business as usual for them. The two guys that I beat did come back abotu 5 minutes later to wrestle each other on the already cleared table. I guess they were just in a arm-wrestling mood. I just sat back in my chair and tried to act normal. It was pretty surreal.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.