Friday, August 04, 2006

Day One in Japan: Part II, Kabuki, Window Shopping and Electronics Town

After our Sushi breakfast we took the subway to the Kabuki theater. It was a pretty neat experience. I was a little ornery because the seats were just a bit small and my left leg kept falling asleep. A full Kabuki play can last anywhere from 3-5 hours with 2-4 acts. Fortunately, you can just view one act at a time. It's a lot cheaper and the acts are only 1-2 hours long. They also have headsets that you can rent that have an english explination of what's going on. It was a pretty cool experience but we weren't allowed to take pictures inside of the theater.





After Kabuki we did some window shopping around Ginza. We wanted to stop for a hot beverage, but we couldn't decide between some Darjeering and the Mild Brend. Never mind the fact that the prices were rediculous. (The exchange rate is about 110 Yen to 1.00 USD, making it just under $7 for the Mild Brend)




After Johanna was done trying on the new M Coupe Roadster (located inside of the Sony gallery/store) we continued to look around at the products and tried to figure out how to open this camera-thing without breaking it.



We figured it out after a couple of minutes and realized that it really wasn't anythign special. Sure it flips and it's a digital camera, but that's about it!



Here's a really small computer/really big PDA though. It's about the size of a large index card...maybe 5" x 7" The screen slides down to cover teh uselessly small keyboard. We tried to play with it but Kanji is pretty hard to read.

Here's a view of Akihabara, Tokyo's "Electronics Town". Things are supposed to be a little cheaper here than in other parts of Tokyo but I was only concerned with one thing...trying to find R/C Car parts. I found three hobby shops and managed to buy as much stuff as I thought I could fit in my luggage.


I won't go into details here on what I found. I actually have another blog that I am using to describe my trip from a Mini-Z Racer's perspective. I found some pretty good deals and some hard to find parts for myself and a couple of the guys that I race with. From a Mini-Z perspective, I was also able to get to a couple of stores and a couple of tracks all of which will be detailed on my other site.

If you are looking for more Japan posts, J has also got a blog that she's been using to document her stay and our travels. I'll post a permanent link in the sidebar one of these days.

No comments: