Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Good Deed for the Day

I was driving in to work today when I saw a guy walking a road bike. I see kids walking bikes all of the time but this guy looked like a commuter, backpack and all. After a quick glance I saw that his rear tire was flat, so I ran through the options in my head...

Do I have a spare tube (nope, I haven't even ridden a road bike in a while)

Floor pump (nope, I took it out of the car last weekend during the MTB race, it's sitting on my porch)

Then I realized that I had a roof rack. I was almost at work, but I figured the least I could do was see if this guy needed a ride. I pulled over into the turning lane and walked back down the sidewalk and asked him if he needed a ride. He was going to walk the last mile to his job but when he saw I had a roof rack I think he felt comfortable taking me up on the ride. I put his Cannondale on the roof, took him about a mile down the road to work, then I was on my way.

It's funny how I consider myself a "rider" but I rarely ride to work. This guy rides to work 7.5 miles one-way spring, summer and fall. I like to think I am hard-core but I always find excuses to not ride. Maybe I'll ride in tomorrow...and maybe I'll see that guy on the road!

No comments: