Wednesday, May 30, 2007

AM Ride Foiled

I tried to squeeze in a little pre-work ride. There's a 16-18 mile loop from my doorstep that starts with rolling hills and peaks in the middle with a 0.9 mile climb. After the climb you roll around the top of the lollipop, more rollers and climb home.

Well, at the base of the climb, I downshift and the right shifter feels a little funny. As I am looking down my rear derailleur is slowly working its way down the cog stack...something was broken. First I thought is was something in the shifter (it is getting old) but after further inspection it was the shift cable. Somehow the cable frayed inside of the shifter leaving the little head in the shifter and the cable dangling on the bike. This also left me with only two gears, a hard one and a really hard one. I wasn't going to be making the 0.9 mile climb to the top. I turned around and was able to get home okay but it's just part of my streak of breaking things over the last few days. I don't really understand...my Karma points should be positive, maybe I'm just having a bad run.

No comments: