Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Stoked about Japan

My wife is currently in Japan studying under an NSF grant that has her there for 10 weeks. I kind of missed the boat on her South America trip, but I planned a little earlier and lined some things up so that I was able to take some time and get a ticket to the motherland.*

J and I have been bouncing some ideas back and forth and it's going to be time to make some concrete plans very soon. If you haven't seen her blog you are missing out. It's much better than this one!

So far the ideas on the table are...
1 Visit Hokkaido. One of the four main islands of Japan. It's the Northenmost island and it supposed to be a natural wonderland
2 Tokyo. I have to track down some Mini-Z tracks and hard to find parts.
3 Sumo Wrestling Tournament
4 MTB Race. It turns out there is a Mountain Bike Race a couple of days after I land in Japan. I won't be bringing a bike out there but Johanna might race it. Although, it would be pretty cool a couple of years from now to be able to say "Yeah...well, back when I was racing in Japan..."

I'll be doing my best to keep everyone updated on my travels. I don't think I am going to bring my computer so it may be tough. This may be a good time for that Mini-disc recorder that I bought...and still haven't used. I will also keep everyone posted as the plans develop.

*When I say "motherland" I am not speaking of the roots of my people. I am referring to the birthplace of the Mini-Z. Defintely my number 1 hobby/addiction at the moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say you flip a coin, any of those things are bound to be amazing experiences. Oh wait, you'll need a 4-sided coin, dangit! So how much time will you get to spend out there?

James G. said...

I'll be out there for a little over two weeks. I think 1 and 2 are very likely. The Sumo may not be possible because of timing.

J and I will be doing some planning very soon, I'll post an update when I have a rough idea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! I think those all sound like good options too. Helpful, huh?