Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cyber Meltdown

I don't usually look at the article adverts on the sidebar of my Hotmail, but this one caught my eye. Here's an excerpt...

The United States has never experienced a massive Internet outage, but a coalition of dynamic chief executives said Friday that the nation must do more to prepare for that prospect.

Without proper planning, myriad industries--from health care to transportation to financial services--could face devastation if a natural disaster, terrorist or hacker succeeded in disrupting Net access, they said.


You can read the entire article here.

Personally, I think it could be pretty rough to not be able to shop, check account balances, pay bills, get music, etc, online, but I don't think it would be the end of the world. There are so many cyber geeks out there that something would popup to facilitate sharing information.

It has been somewhat lost but personally I think sharing information is the real power behind the internet. Maybe if we have a cyber meltdown, blogs and forums will be king...trumping Amazon and Ebay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is an interesting idea to consider. What if....hmm. Well, first of all, I'd be out of work and not really qualified for much else. I guess I'd have to go back to being a bike messenger, which would probably go through a major renaiscance because of the lack of email. I might be able to pull six figures working on the bike. This is sounding pretty sweet to me...

Anonymous said...

BTW, never have been able to spell the work renaiscance, never will.

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Just like Y2K. Wait a minute...
So whats up with the training blog? Are you the next fat cyclist?
j