Friday, July 07, 2006

Don't Buy a Cheap Shredder


I found a great deal on a shredder at Staples. It had a $25 rebate which made it something like 15 or 20 bucks. We don't have a whole lot of stuff that's shred-worthy so I figured it would be adequate.

The problem is that it only has a 7 sheet capacity. So your limit is basically one envelope with two tri-folded sheets of paper. I don't know the last time my phone bill only had two sheets of paper in it. You could certainly unfold the sheets and shred a coupel at a time but that's no faster than just ripping them up. The point is, we pushed our shredder to its (very meager) limits. I didn't realize this until this morning when I tried to shred a single sheet of paper and it wouldn't chew it up. I figured it was just a little jammed. When I unplugged it and started to pull the paper wads out I saw that a bunch of the center blades were completely mangled. If you look closely you can see that some of the plastic fins are completely gone or mushed and the blades are all chewed up.


This thing is toast.

Moral:
If you really do want to get a shredder, spend a couple of bucks, or be prepared to shred your credit card statements one sheet at a time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow nothing about this is a surprise to me. Especially given that I know me. Maybe you could have gotten it to last a little longer. I wonder how my dad's is making out. Either completely destroyed or not being used is my guess. Maybe I will ask... Anyway, it was a great idea, even if we will be adding to land fill.
Laters, j

Anonymous said...

I thought I wrote a comment saying that dad had not used his yet. James...to you want to test his out???:)
(Is that a smile or does it have to be (: ?

Anonymous said...

I thought I wrote a comment saying that dad had not used his yet. James...to you want to test his out???:)
(Is that a smile or does it have to be (: ?