Monday, October 23, 2006

I am Overzealous

I don't know what it is about my brain but whenever I get involved in something that's remotely fun and I think I will want to do it again, I start pondering ways to jump into it 120%. Unfortunately, that leaves me with unfinished projects and forgotten toys. For example...


Pool

In college I would go to the "Bear's Lair" or the "GCB" to play pool. It was a lot of fun. I wasn't particularly good at it but I was okay. I started obsessing about pool and I almost bought my own cue. I am really glad I didn't, I have probably played pool 7 times in the last 10 years.



RC Cars


Two years ago I bought a Zip-Zap, then maybe a month later I bought a Rustler and a Stampede used off of Ebay or something. Now I am knee deep in Mini-Z's. Fortunately this one has stuck. I have spent more money on these little cars than I would like to actually admit but I am currently ranked 7th in an international Mini-Z series. Not to mention I love racing these things. I am glad I got sucked into RC Cars.

Paintball

I have played paintball exactly three times in my life. It's pretty invigorating! It's just like a video game. You have no peripheral vision because your rented goggles are fogging up, you are getting blasted from who-knows-where by people who want to harm you and the adrenaline rush is insane. I am not very good at paintball but every time I play I find myself scouring Ebay the next day for used equipment.

MTB Skills Ramp

I don't even want to talk about this one. I decided that I wanted to build a small bike-skills obstacle in my backyard. Before I realized how dumb that was I had already purchased some lumber and built a small platform. It wasn't until I found two tree stumps to use for supports and got them home that I realized it would never happen. The platform is still in my basement and the stumps are still in my driveway...

Table Tennis

This one isn't so bad. A few people from work are taking a TT class at the local University. Why Table Tennis? Well that's easy...we got a good table for a cheap price at an auction. Now we have a table at work (nice huh?) and we decided that we wanted to get better. So I found an intramural class and we are in our second session. I still suck but I did just get a new paddle recently!

There are so many remains of so many past projects that are no longer alive. There was the paper mache Mini-Z obstacle course, the PVC bike stand, the home-made Camelbak gel flask holder...

At least I can say I have learned a little bit from my previous endeavors. I really try to evaluate a project before I dive in. I have stopped myself from several potential blunders but the impulsive sensations are starting to rise up again. The most recent challenge that I am thinking of tackling is a mountain bike race series in Charlottesville. There are a few great venues that have not hosted races over the last few years for various races. I can easily think of three races that could be combined to form a small series. The motivator is a Halloween-themed race that I have been part of coordinating for the last three years. The Paranormal. It's an awesome event but it's a lot of work. I have to think long and hard before I decide to tackle 2-3 cross country races in one season. I do have the Charlottesville Racing Club behind me but it's mostly a road club and trying to get help for MTB events can be a little difficult at times. There's definitely verbal and financial support for MTB racing, but it's a little difficult to get warm bodies to volunteer when we are holding so many events.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quien es su papa en el partido de table tenis?

James G. said...

Creo que vivimos en un mundo nuevo. Nadie es mi papa ahora!

Anonymous said...

vamos a ver....vamos a ver.....vas a aprender quien es su papa........vas a aprender....

reef said...

Don't ever put GCB or Bears Lair in quotes again. It's just ... blasphemy.