Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Trail Work

Whew! It's been a long time since my last post...on this blog anyway. Most of my projects and thoughts have been Mini-Z related so I have been putting my energy elsewhere. I do have a couple of things worth reporting in about though.

I have been getting excited about doing trail work lately and I am actually going to be heading up some trail work days at one of our local riding spots. "O-hill" needs a lot of work and I am hoping we can make a small impact on a great little riding spot.

A couple of days ago, three of us went out to clear a log that was over the trail. Usually logs aren't a problem but this one was pretty big, it was at a bad angle and one end was almost a foot off of the ground. It really interrupted the flow on that section of trail so it was a pretty obvious candidate for removal. That's not the interesting part though. I had just gotten back from a trip in NC where there was an awesome log feature so we decided to do something similar.

Here's the feature from NC near Brevard.




And here are a couple of shots of what we built this weekend.





My hands are still a little sore today from running the chainsaw (and probably from riding my single speed) but I would like to report that the obstacle is totally ridable. It's not as clean as the NC inspiration but it's nice to have something you can't ride 100% of the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! These pictures, O'hill, the brown leaves on the ground, the crunchy sound I know they make when you ride on them. I REALLY miss riding O'hill with you and Dr.J.

It's funny when you move somewhere new, you regret the things that you took for granted at the last place you lived. I wish I had done a LOT more MTB'ing with you guys. I don't regret not road riding more, haha. It's funny how priorities and desires become clear after the fact.

Anyway, looks like some sweet trail work you guys are doing. I'll be home from Dec. 24 - Jan. 1 and I'll come to Cville, hopefully we'll get to catch up!!

James G. said...

We will be headed up to NJ/NYC for the holidays but maybe we'll plan to come back in time to catch you before you return. We don't usually hang out through New Year's anyway.

We should definitely catch up.

reef said...

Man .. tht RC blog is awesome. I have to keep tabs on it. When I was younger I was fasicnated by electronic cars, so I'm interested in your work.

James G. said...

Reef, I will probably bring some cars home over the holiday. I fyou are around come by, we'll rip it up. You'll see what the cars can do!