Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Quick update on the commuting

So, I didn't do so well eliminating the car from my life for the month of September. I really only averaged 1-2 rides to work per week. I am not completely disappointed and I haven't given up yet. I really like riding the fixie and I finally have it setup the way I like it.

Mostly it depends on what I have to do after work and how well I prepare the night before. If it's easier to find my car keys than it is to find my riding shoes, I'll usually drive. Also, if I have to race Mini-Z's after work...I can't carry them all on my bike.

I'll probably ride to work Thursday and Friday...if the weather holds.

With an approximate guess at wear and tear on my car, I only have to put 1,000 commuting miles on my bike for it to pay for itself. I have a spare bike computer lying around, maybe I should hook it up.

4 comments:

Jill Homer said...

The conversion is difficult. I'm attempting it myself. My big reason is that my car is not long for this world, and I'd love to have to not get a new one.

Anonymous said...

Good job James! I'm sure even two days of riding to work a week still makes a big difference in how you feel, etc. Isn't it a great way to start the day?

I've been wondering lately if it would be overkill if I bought 2 extra sensors for the cheapo Performance bike computer I have, so that I can move my computer from bike to bike and just track how much mileage I am racking up on bikes in general. Any thoughts? I can't remember if the MTB tires change the way the mileage is calculated on the computer.

I think in general I'm riding minimum 6 miles a day, more if I run errands after work. It's not much, but better than nothing. I thought it would be cool to compare my car mileage to my bike mileage.

As far as driving, I'm currently driving as infrequently as once every 2 weeks, or as often as twice a week -- usually on the weekends.

James G. said...

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I was probably going to drive to work tomorrow, but I think I am going to suck it up and ride.

James G. said...

oh, and Sal, the mileage will be a little different, but not much. I'll look at the numbers when I mount my computer on my fixie.