Friday, September 22, 2006

The new Cockpit

So I am pretty excited about the new bike. The only problem is that it wasn't really "mine". I had to add some personal touches to make it feel like my own. Most of the obvious changes are in the steering department.

Since I never used the drops anyway, I just decided to go with some Time Trial style bullhorn bars. I know there's a lot of brake levers...but I am still pretty new to the fixie thing.



The levers at the ends of the bars are just Tektro 4.1's or something. I didn't really want levers at the end of the bars but I figured I could always take them off next time I wrap the tape. The bars on the tops are the drilled Salsa crosstop levers. I thought the reach would be a little to far for my liking, but everything sits just right.

Even with all of the brakes...it still looks pretty streamlined. I also took the rear rack off for now.

I am also trying out some new pedals. They are on load from a fellow fixie rider. Sally might recognize them but this particular rider doesn't get out on his bike much anymore...but he still spends plenty of time with his Cadence.



Now I just have to find some matte black fenders!

3 comments:

Devan G said...

aah yes. yes, i'm quite jealous. not only of your bike but of your deck. you have a deck. how i yearn for a deck. and bullhorn bars. what pressure are you running those tires at?

Michelle said...

Nice Bike! I am interested in those bars, keep us updated on how you like them.

Anonymous said...

LURKER NO MORE! Sally almost got me with her de-lurking day, but this post made it IMPOSSIBLE to remain a blog commenting virgin. Purists may say that brakes on a fixie is like a fish on a bicycle, but I say HOORAY! Those bars look tight! And you don't have to use the brakes unless you need to. And I must say, if I do say so myself, that those pedals look SUPAPHAT. Glad they are finding a happy home. I've already picked out the White Crank Brothers Mallets to go with the white saddle on my bean green crosscheck fixie. Quite nice. That's all. Back to my lurking hovel.