Friday, February 24, 2006

It was fine while it lasted

Notice I didn't say fun.

Running is not about fun. In my brief experience with running, I have learned that running is about mitigating pain. There is always some sort of overuse injury, or joint pull, or ligament friction thing that you are trying to dodge. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's because I weigh 185 lbs and I ran 7 miles on a 20 degree day when just 4 months ago I hadn't run 7 feet.

I am sad to say that I think I am aborting the 10 miler training plan. Who am I kidding, I am not sad. I was looking for an excuse to quit this stupid thing. Don't get me wrong here. I will still continue to run, but I think 5 miles is about my limit...at least for now.

If you are curious, I have ITBS. look it up.

It has been about 5 days since my last run. I have sort of been avoiding it. I am telling myself that I am "resting". I'll give it another shot in the next day or two and see how things work out. If the pain is gone, maybe I'll pick the training back up. If not, I'll have to back off and abort the ten miler. The weather is starting to get warmer now anyway...it's time to get back on the bike.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must face your tiger. Face it, conquer it, and own it. Running will make you a stronger biker. Enter a 5K instead - that is a more reasonable goal for a first time runner. All the best to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Way to go James! 7 miles is a huge accomplishment anyway. I think it's particularly tough for cyclists that convert to running, because mentally we come with the attitude that you have to push through the pain (in cycling the pain is usually endurance related, not an injury). And in cycling if you fail to push through the pain, you lose the pack becuase you were being a wuss. Running is completely different, you have to listen to the pain, obey the pain, stop when you feel the pain rather than push harder. Then it's really hard to not beat yourself up about it or feel guilty. But, 7 miles kicks ass, nice work!

Anonymous said...

I find the hard part about running as opposed to biking is that i have to carry my whole heavy a$$ around and not just like, 30% of it. That being said I have to agree with d gains and fixpert. you´ve really done a lot. I think doing a short race might actually be fun. You know, thats if you dont go out for the fastest mile youve every run for your first one...i dont know anything about that though.