Friday, February 24, 2006

Customer Service

So I got on www.slickdeals.net last night for some semi-regular browsing. I have taken advantage of a couple of slickdeals but there is one in particular that I have been waiting for...a wireless router.

I have a pretty good setup on my desktop, but since we have two computers in the house, it would be pretty convenient to have two computers to the internet. So a pretty good deal came up for a router and a PCI card for Johanna's laptop. $30 after rebate for a Wireless G router.

I got home at about 10:45 tonight, spent some time with the birds and got started on the installation. It is now 12:45 and I am on hold with Netgear customer support trying to get some help. I wish I had my camera right now because there is a little sentence on the instruction sheet that I would love for you guys to see...

Estimated completion time: about 20 minutes.

I am going to have to call bull on that one. I have been cranking away at this thing for almost 2 hours. I don't know what the answer is yet but hopefully, they can tell me.

I have searched various forums (which are usually very helpful) but I just can't find anything. Well, I am going to try some reboot cycles while I'm on hold.

-wish me luck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! I just did a phone interview with NetGear yesterday for a position as a Usability Engineer. If it's any consolation (which I'm guessing at this point, probably not) they're beefing up their in-house usability team to address problems just like this. I see NetGear's usability and experience improving greatly in the future, but there may be some lag time between now and when the improved products & instructions go to market.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you with this endeavor, James. It should prove to be worthwhile once you get it up and running. Your frustration (or the even the mere possibility of frustration) is precisely what keeps me from trying to install the same thing in my apartment.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you just don't have a strong enough background in the hard sciences to be able to do a good job with this. For shame!