Thursday, July 28, 2011

Things to Do When Moving to a New Town

So, we are right at the 6 month mark...still new to town but definitely finding our way around.  Here's a list of some of my accomplishments since moving to Fort Collins, along with a few things still to be done.

Get a Speeding Ticket

I actually accomplished this one before I was an official Colorado resident.  It turns out Fort Collins has traffic cameras in a few select neighborhoods.  I was looking at rental places back in December and I managed to blast through a 25 MPH section in my rental Prius...yes...a Prius.

Get Your Picture in the Newspaper

I am not sure that I've ever had my likeness in a VA paper but it didn't take long to get my face in a Fort Collins periodical.  Some CSU student was putting together an article for their paper and snapped some pictures of the local polo group.

Join Some Clubs

I have found myself leading the charge for Fort Collins Bike Polo (the hardcourt flavor anyway) and we are also tied in to the Overland Mountain Bike Club.  I am trying to keep my participation at a reasonable level so I don't find myself over extended like I was in C-Ville.  We'll see how that goes.

Find a Place to Hang

Over the years I had a few places I could hang out if I was just looking to kill some time.  In the early years it was Charlottesville Aquarium...then that shifted to C-ville Bike and Tri and Rudy's Paintball.  Unfortunately, Rudy's closed its doors but the bike shop was always a good time-killing spot.  I have yet to find a nice local place where I can just hang out and shoot the breeze without being a lingering weirdo.

Find a favorite ride

This one is tough.  We went back to VA recently and got a chance to ride some local trails.  It's so very nice to know every root, rock, corner, ledge, switchback and you just take it for granted.  I am contemplating picking a trail and just riding that for two weeks...just so I have something familiar to look forward to.

No comments: