Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Portable Sound System

Last year at the Tour De Fat I saw quite a few awesome sound systems on trailers.  Shortly thereafter I was on a mission to figure out how they were done.  I found myself at a great Instructable on how to do it. I got pretty pumped about it and poured over the detailed information for quite a while.  After a few weeks I cam to the conclusion that I would probably use something like this once a year and just have to store it most of the time...So I decided to scrap the project.

Almost a year later...Tour de Fat rolls around again (see what I did there?) and there they were...All of the awesome sound systems making the parade awesome for everyone around.  I was bummed I didn't have one.  Later that day I was digging up old links and making plans for a system of my own.

Here we are three and a half weeks after the Tour de Fat...and here's what I've got!


I also have a couple of build pics.  What you can't see in the first picture is that I took the amp apart, drilled two holes in the bottom half of the case and screwed that to the inside of the speaker box.
The crossover mounted nicely to the existing panel of the speaker.  I was even able to reuse one of the jack holes in the back. The panel was a bit brittle so I had to be careful when drilling through.
 Here's the crossover and power jack screwed into the back panel.
 And here's what it looks like from the inside.  Because I attached the case for the amp to the inside of the speaker box first, I had to slide the amp circuit board down in to the assembled case.  Then I screwed the front place of the amp to the case.  I wasn't able to screw the bottom plate on the case so I just left it open. I also connected the speakers to the back of the amp before putting the woofer back in the box.

No comments: