Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Doing My Part

I consider myself a cyclist...I mean come on, I own four bikes and in peak season I am riding more days than I am not riding.  20-40 mile road ride...no problem...20 mile MTB race...sure thing...but ride 5 miles to work? it almost never happens. 

For a while I had a Specialized Langster for getting around town.  One gear, if the wheels were moving, my pedals were moving.  It was fine except it's a little steep around C-ville and slogging one fixed gear around town really takes its toll.  Combine that with the fact that I was riding super skinny tires and couldn't really bail out onto a rough sidewalk if I ran out of road...I really wasn't riding it much. The Langster just wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

So, I sold it and got one of these.  
A Redline Monogog 29er.  

This is my first venture into the 29" MTB wheel market.  This thing is like a Mac truck.  With no suspension and heavy thick steel tubes it's pretty much bullet proof.  The super wide tires slow me down a bit but I can hop any curb or ride any rough sidewalk without worrying if I am going to destroy the wheels.  

So far it's pretty much stock.  I just hop on with my backpack and ride the 5 miles to work.  I might get some Oury grips or some lower profile tires, but for now...it will do the trick.  

I am managing to commute 2 days a week.  Weather and other obligations that require a car seem to keep me from riding in more frequently.  If the weather holds this week I should be able to bump it up to three.

Do your part...let the car rest a couple of days out of the week...sneak in some more exercise...ride a bike!

No comments: