Thursday, December 29, 2005

I Have Started Running

The title of the post pretty much says it all. Why have I started? I really don't know for sure. I have a couple of potential reasons.
  • It's too cold to ride
  • I think I could be a kick ass runner
  • Riding the trainer is a fate worse than death
  • I want to keep some fitness so I can crush my friends when it's time to ride again
  • I feel guilty about eating and eating and eating
  • I don't think I will ever reach my arbitrary weight goal of 172 without some sort of cross training
  • I am a little burned out on riding right now
I think all of these reasons probably all play a little part in why I decided to go out and buy a pair of running shoes. I have always known that if I want to reach the fitness triumvirate of fast-strong-light I have got to take some proactive measures.

I have always thought about running because it's much quicker than riding and you can get a hell of a workout. I am still in the super-low mileage phase in an effort to keep the risk of injury down, but I am also not riding very much. I can't keep it up for too long because basically all of my friends ride. Just yesterday four people said directly to me...

"Hey do you want to go for a ride...(insert day and place here)"

I am not going to be able to keep up the excuses for long.

They say the hardest time for a new hobby/exercise/activity is the beginning. If you can do it for 3 weeks (or something like that) you can make it a habit. At this point it's been almost three weeks, I'll let you know if I feel anything special.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey big little brother. Runners high is the best high I've ever experienced. The problem is that you reach that high after feeling as if your legs are going to explode, what ever you ate for the past year is going to make a guest appearance on your shirt, you start to go blind and your breathing starts to sound like a dogs squeak toy. Yeah, after that you feel like you can run all day.

Anonymous said...

Is this the Jessy that I think this is...a blast from the past?

I can't say that I am running enough to get the runners high. I have only been at it for three weeks and I am trying to ease my way into it. I have definitely been there on the road bike though. The blindness is the dead give away. First it starts with little *blinkies* in your prehipheral vision, then it's tunnel vision, then the nausia.

It makes me want to ride my bike again. But alas, those efforts are saved for the grueling summer slaughter rides.