Friday, September 16, 2005

Computer Cleanup

This isn't even really a worthwhile post, but here it goes...

I have been thinking about getting an external HD for my computer for a little while. Maybe just something to backup my music and pictures, or even save them there permanently. Externals are about $1/gig at retail and sometimes you can find some really good deals for about $.50/gig. But there is also another option.

It turns out that an external hard drive is really just an internal drive stuck into a USB case. So I started to scour slickdeals for some deals on internal HD's and enclosures. I found some things and after I submit my rebate, it will come out to 37.58 for the HD and 23 for the enclosure for a total of about $60. It's a 160 Gig drive so it's about .37/gig. You could probably find a better deal on the drive and get a bigger one so you have a better ratio, but this works for me.

This also inspired some cleanup of my 4+ year old computer. It still works pretty well for my purposes (email, word processing, some Java coding, editing pictures, etc) but I had a lot of junk on there. Mostly programs that I didn't use anymore and duplicates of pictures and songs. Anyway, I managed to clear out about 15 Gigs of space without too much trouble. I think it runs a little faster now but it could be the clean car phenomenon.

Give your car a good wash and wax, inside and out, and I swear it will run faster, smoother and quieter. At least that's how it feels. It works with bikes too.

No comments: